- Audience: school coaches, school physicians, athletic trainers, nurses, athletic directors, marching band directors, students and their parents who participate in an extracurricular athletic activity, and other trainers and volunteers involved in extracurricular sports
- Format: Self-paced
- Price: Free
- Length: 90 minutes
- Competencies: Concussion recognition and management for schools and youth sports,
- Learning Level: Knowledge, Comprehension, Application
- Supplemental materials:Technical Requirements Guide (PDF)
About this course
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 170,000 kids and teens are treated in an emergency department each year for sports or recreation-related traumatic brain injuries, including concussions. Playing or practicing with a concussion is dangerous and can lead to a longer recovery and an increased risk for more serious brain injury. This course will help you create an environment that supports students who have suffered a concussion and that allows them to safely return to learn and play.
This course contains four lessons with information about concussions, related Massachusetts laws and regulations, and guidelines for students to return to learn and play. After completion of a pre-test, post-test, and evaluation, a certificate of completion will be issued that satisfies the annual training requirement in Massachusetts regulation 105 CMR 201.007.
The certificate will be valid for one year, July 1 - June 30.
Subject Matter Experts
Michael Beasley, MD Division of Sports Medicine Boston Children's Hospital
Linda Brown Division of Violence and Injury Prevention Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Carilyn Rains, MEd, BSN, RN Director, School Health Services Plymouth Public Schools
- Alan Kulberg, MD, Concussion Clinic, Berkshire Medical Center
- Kathy Thornton, MS, LAT Injury Prevention & Athletic Training Southcoast Health
Enrollment and Contact Hours
Note there are two different options for enrolling in this course highlighted in the table below.
The Certificate of Completion will include the length of the module. Contact hours may be applicable towards continuing education requirements for certain credentials. Check with your credentialing body to verify if the topic meets its continuing education requirements.
|For a Certificate of Completion
|To Audit (No Certificate)
Having trouble accessing the course? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org